Sunday, November 9, 2008

Autumnal Zing!


Here's a little known plant that has some wonderful impact in the fall - Beautyberry (Callicarpa dichotoma ). It's kind of non-descript throughtout the season with it's little pink flowers in early summer. It's green foliage blends into the landscape during the summer. But in the fall, these wonderful purple berries emerge from the sea of green leaves. I took this photo with my phone when at a client's house (hence why it's a tad blurry) to show you how neat it is. It is hardy to Zone 5 and isn't really bothered by pests and diseases. This is not a native species but there is a native beautyberry for those of you who are die hard natural plant purists. It's great for
grouping or mass plantings, borders, and bird gardens. They can also be utilitized for underplanting for open woodland or other part shade areas. I think I will get this plant for my shrub borders I have planned for the perimeters of my property. I have really gotten into bird gardening since we had built Lake Larson and think this is a must have.

No comments: