Tuesday, October 12, 2010

URI's conversatory greenhouses...packed with neat things!

A couple of weeks ago, I ended up down at URI's botanical garden for a RINLA Twilight Meeting. As current chairperson for the RINLA Publicity Committee, I was there for photo ops of the meeting and took a couple of minutes to wander around their greenhouses. I had never had an opportunity to visit them and doing so brought back fond memories of all of the time I spent in Cornell's greenhouses.

I have to open up this photo montage with a curious plant I found in the conservatory...upon first glance, it looks like something from the tomato family. The fruit looks very much like an inverted yellow pear tomato. So, curiosity got the best of me and I had to look at the tag....


Well, wasn't expecting that name! Hmmmm.....indeed (I guess if I look at it long enough, through squinted eyes.) And, I am not above mentioning...I giggled like a 12 year old at the common name.

They have a really neat succulent and cactus section in the front of the first greenhouse. It was pretty cool seeing these plants all planted in the ground instead of in individual pots. I could really appreciate the interest they all have.


A big Agave in full, funky flower:



An awesome specimen of pink Brugmansia:


Allamanda cathartica: Golden trumpet (I can't seem to get the italics to shut off...sorry.)


This is a plant I would like to try to grow myself but don't know much about it's culture. This beauty is called Plumeria.


A view from the middle of the first greenhouse looking out to the road.





Wicked cool! Their carnivorous plant collection!! WANT!



Here's their monstrous fig tree that puts mine to shame! Granted my little tree is a dwarf and really shouldn't get bigger than 4' tall. But, to have something like this would be wild.


This pic was for more my nerd side...you can air layer figs for propagation. Note taken...




If you're looking for a little nook on campus where you can get your tropical plant fix met, check out URI's green houses. You will be pleasantly surprised!

No comments: