Sunday, December 7, 2008

Now for some indoor gardening

I think this year will be a good one for indoor plants at the GC HQ. I'm attempting something completely different this year with them. I fed everyone today with my faux-Electra and want to see what results I get. I think they will be good since an organic fertilizer will release nutrients slowly which will be great for the slower growing plants.

This year's orchid crop is going to be a good one...I have multiple panicles coming on most of them. That is very exciting. I'm amazed at how easy Moth Orchids (Phalaenopsis) are easy to grow in a home environment. I would like to get some more because we did have some casualties from puppy jaws over the year.



Here is my "holy grail" for this year with gardening inside...overwintering my rosemary inside. I tried it years ago when I was in college and actually got it to survive. I haven't been able to do it since because we always kept it too warm in the house. Rosemary likes cooler temps at night and we have been doing that in this house since we moved here. So, I dug it up and potted it. I kept it in the greenhouse for about a month and a half. When it got seriously cold a couple of weeks back, I moved it to the house. So far, so good and I do believe it's growing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cold does your greenhouse get? We keep our rosemaries in the coldest of our houses which can dip into the high 30's. And the one I've got at home is on a porch that not only dips into the 30's but sometimes stays there for a while. The only trouble with being in a warmish house is that it will grow (when it would rather slow down) and it can get a little leggy and weird...
Your orchids look quite promising (unlike mine...)!

Indoor grow lights said...

Cool! Good blog! I'll mention it in my next blogpost and it'll turn up on my new blogroll.